Sharn: From Antiquities to Inquisitives
1. What’s your character’s name, race, and class?
a. Zerif, Elf, Rouge, 40
2. Where was your character born? Try to describe it: What kind of people lived there, how large was it, did it have a special purpose, etc.
a. Zerif was born in Sharn To the House of Phiarlan. His father Cormax was a powerful wizard as are all of his brothers. Zerif’s mother Limitra was known for being one of the most beautiful and talented musions in all the land and taught both Zerif and his Iss how to sing and play. ( Iss prefers the harp and Zerif the Lute) Most of his life Zerif his sister Iss and his mother spent time developing their skills and each became quiet known for their abilities with music. Both Zerif and Iss showed no talent for the Arcane arts so there father showed no interest in even having a relationship with them.
3. What are your character’s favorite weapons and items? I don’t hand out golf bags of magic weapons and armaments. Instead, a character’s items “level up” as he increases in experience. I prefer magic items that feel personal and have their own unique histories. Also, I try to connect a character’s items with plot hooks already in place within the campaign. This gives the character a vested interest in the adventure. Common favorite items include heirlooms that belonged to beloved family members, sets of tools from memorable first experiences, or prizes won in contests.
Zerif fights with one of a set of 2 short swords that where his mothers father weapons and have been passed down through the generations.
Zerif also has a set a Feyleather Armor that is Uncle gave him at his coming of age ceremony.
Zerif is becoming adept at making Alchemic items that he uses to his advantage as offend as he can. Normally lobbing items with a sling to cause misdirection or explosions
4. What is the most important event in your character’s life? The answer to this question is preferably something that changed your character in a meaningful way. Another way to look at the question is, “Why is my character going out into the world and leaving his warm, quiet, normal life behind?”
Zerif is the 13th son in the House of Phiarlan. His mother side of the family carries the Mark of Shadow. No one other than his mother and Twin sister has bore this mark and the rest of the family does not know about his sister’s mark. Zerif’s father and brothers are all versed in the arcane arts unlike his mother and sister who are more musically inclined. About 5 years ago his mother up and vanished without a trace his father had just said that she had simply run away taking control of the house and starting to deal in activities that his mother frond upon. When Zerif looked into what had happened things did not add up his mother left all her things and upon addressing this with the local magistrate it caused issues within the house. Zerifs Uncle (Nemicus) who should have Become the head of the household spend three years looking for Zerifs mother without much luck only coming back after hearing the state of the house and the type of things they are becoming involved with without Zerifs mother leading the home. Upon coming home Nemicus was put out from the home and started a small thief’s guild that had been known for its honor. During the time of his mother disappearance Zerif had a falling out with his family and left there estate taking up lodging in a reputable inn as a mistral Also keeping up appearances in courts that invited him taking the occasional offer to play for them.
5. What motivates your character? Character motivations like the acquisition of wealth and power are assumed. What I’m looking for are ways to keep your character searching for clues, or to keep him with the party. Common motivations include protecting a secret or another character, seeking out the answer to a question, or revenge against an enemy.
Zerif suspicion is that his father and brother had something to do with his mother’s disappearance and had vowed to find out what happened and take vengeance on throws involved then take back the House and bring it back to its former glory. Zerif also fears for his sisters safety bearing the shadow mark.
6. What is your character’s family like? I try to incorporate NPCs into the game, so feel free to mention best friends, distant relatives, mentors, etc. I don’t use them as ways to attack the character indirectly; instead, I use them to motivate the characters into the campaign. Be sure to name the NPCs you create.
Most of Zerifs brothers are in other city and his sister has moved far from her father’s reach. Zerif does have one brother Destis that seems to have it in for Zerif clamming he took all of his mother’s time. Zerif uncial Nemicus runes a mid size thieves guild that is known for its honor and skill. Nemicus Is also known as an honorable man and not many people have connected him with his thief’s guild. Zerif and his father have an estranged relationship and there are ever rumors that Zerif is not his child. Zerif’s father has a foul temper and would lash out without notice in private. Since the disappearance of Zerifs mother his father has taken to the brothels looking for “entertainment”
7. What does your character fear? List a few fears that can happen in-game. Common fears include spiders, snakes, or water. More unique fears can be certain spells, types of people (like kings or beggars), or special weather conditions and environments (like swamps, the desert, or the open ocean).
Zerif fears not knowing. Ever since he was young he had an immense curiosity offended leading him into trouble with breaking into place that he does not belong. Zerif also fears for his sister and what would happen to her should the other find out about her Dragon mark.
8. Does your character have any dark secrets or hidden shame in his past? Troubled pasts can really flesh out a character’s future, but they don’t have to be deep, dire, and psychological. Dark secrets or hidden shames can be as involved as an accidental murder that the character was never caught for, or as simple as a theft of bread that left another to be flogged by the town guard.
There was an incident where the house of Thuranni was running dog fight and Zerif and his Uncle where commissioned to put an end to it. Throught the progress of the investigation Zerif discovered that one of the Dogs was actually a Elven Druid in her beast form. Zerif poised and tortured everyone who know that she was not an animal. The watch tried an investigation but there was no charges or inquiries leading to Zerif and to the best of his knowledge no one knows what happened.
9. What goals does your character hope to accomplish? What will your character achieve during the course of the campaign? Some goals, such as “to be a better person” or “to be wealthy” might be great goals for real-life people, but I’m looking for something more along the lines of things that can be accomplished through the campaign’s plot. Common goals include saving an important NPC, recovering a missing artifact, or finding a lost civilization.
To find out the truth about what happened to his mother and bring thowes to justice that were involved rescuing his mother if she still lives. And to take over his House and bring it back to what it use to be.