Sharn: From Antiquities to Inquisitives
Dragonmarked houses are organizations that are based on bloodlines descended from families that first manifested dragonmarks. Not all members of the Houses have dragonmarks; nor is it an assurance of power; talent is a more important factor for choices of leadership in most houses. Most common people have at least a small amount of House blood in their ancestry, usually unnoticed.
The Dragonmarked Houses are the cornerstone of the economy of Khorvaire. Most banking, security, communications, transportation and fabrication are run by the Dragonmarked Houses. The Houses use their exclusive access to the powers of dragonmarks to sustain their economic empires that extend far beyond arcane powers of the dragonmarks themselves. The houses can attribute most of their success to their meticulously crafted reputations for standardization and quality that have elevated bearers of dragonmarks with a status that mundane wizards and artificers cannot possibly match.
Dragonmarks are strongly hereditary, and appear almost exclusively on members of a certain family (and therefore race) – though unusual exceptions are known to appear (rumor even has it that a warforged once manifested a dragonmark of Warding, though this is denied by House Kundarak).
- House Cannith, with the mark of Making. The Crafters.
- House Deneith, with the mark of the Sentinel. The Bodyguards and Mercenaries.
- House Ghallandra, with the mark of Hospitality. Providers of shelter, food and drink.
- House Jorasco, with the mark of Healing. The mercenary healers.
- House Kundarak, with the mark of Warding. The Bankers.
- House Lyrandar, with the mark of Storms. Master Shipwrights.
- House Medani, with the mark of Detection. Detectives and Spy-Catchers.
- House Orien, with the mark of Passage. The Coachmasters.
- House Phiarlan, with the mark of Shadow. Entertainers and Courtesans.
- House Sivis, with the mark of Scribing. Communication Specialists and information Brokers.
- House Tharashk, with the mark of Finding. The Prospectors and bounty hunters.
- House Thuranni, with the mark of Shadow. Spies and cutthroats.
- House Vadalis, with the mark of Handling. Masters of Breeding and Taming.
- House Tarkanan, with aberrant marks. This is a mockery of the dragonmarked houses.